16 June 2007

Arts Corner: get a life

It's Saturday, and there's no weeping Josephs to watch. Quite frankly, what am I going to do with my time? Well, apart from getting a life...

  • I could go and watch Opera North perform Dido and Aeneas at the Theatre Royal (but at £13 for the cheapest of seats in the gods, I'd have to really like opera - and as you may have guessed from my viewing habits I lean more towards musicals...)
  • I could go and see a production of Peer Gynt at Northern Stage (only £7, and I'm sure quite a bargain for some experimental theatre, but my heart really isn't in it)
  • I could go and see Das Leben der Anderen at the Tyneside Cinema (in fact I'll probably go and see this in the next couple of days, but it's not really light, frothy Saturday night entertainment, is it?)
  • the Journal Tyne Theatre doesn't have anything playing, so that's a bit of a washout (although if you wait until September there's an evening with Ray Mears - Ray Mears! My hero!)
  • the Sage Gateshead is similarly dark, but there do appear to be brass bands galore tomorrow night, for those wanting to entertain Brassed Off fantasies of Ewan McGregor...
  • and that's all quite apart from places like the Star and Shadow cinema, City Hall, the Metro Radio Arena, World Headquarters...need I go on?

In short, Newcastle's a busy place. What's a girl to do? Well, cook chilli, stay in and watch telly with husband, obviously. I think it might be time for a nice (free) documentary on stadium rock.

No comments: